Whole Foods recently announced the closing of 9 stores around the country. More information and a list of the closing stores can be found here. My sister happened upon one of these closings and stocked up at the very limited 60% off storewide clearance. From the sounds of it, there wasn’t much left on the shelves. It was the last day of the sale and there were “more people than items on the shelves” according to her. But she very kindly gathered a smörgåsbord of random, unique items to send to me. In this post, I will be going over what I got and offering my thoughts on some of the products.
Here are the small things:
- Taza Chocolate Tazito minibars: These are Mexican inspired mini chocolate bars. I have the Hazelnut crunch and Almond Crunch which are both 65% dark chocolate with bits of their respective nuts inside. Looking forward to trying these.. At 120 calories & 5g sugar per minibar, they look like a nicely proportioned treat.
- Clif Kids Z-fruit rope: I don’t know about these.. I’ve tried “healthy” fruit snacks before and was less than impressed. Best case: they taste like a Twizzler, worst case: they taste like some gross fruit-leather I’ve tried before.
- Chupa Chups lolipops: Never tried this brand but I can enjoy a good lolipop every once in a while(my favorites are Blowpops and orange Tootsie pops). These come in some interesting flavors like coco-vanilla, green apple, strawberries & creme, and lime so I’m looking forward to giving these a try.
- Pro Bar Chocolate + Peanut Butter blend: I’ve never had peanut butter from a packet like this, but I like peanut butter and chocolate so what could go wrong? (Note: The second ingredient is date paste and it’s sweetened with Stevia… something might go wrong.)
- Honey Stinger Rocket Chocolate Energy Bar: I’ve seen these honey stinger bars around before but never tried one. Looks interesting though, especially the claim that the bar is over 30% honey.. That must be where the 18g sugar comes from. (190 cals, 5g fat, 28g carbs, 2g fiber, 18g sugar, 5g protein)
- thinkThin Chunky Chocolate Peanut Protein & Fiber Bar: I’ve also seen these around but never tried. Looks like a pretty balanced snack, but has a long ingredients list with half the stuff I can’t pronounce. (150 cals, 5g fat, 19g carbs, 5g fiber, 5g sugar, 10g protein)
- 22 Days Nutrition Pineapple Chocolate Chip Wonder Bar: Not the best picture of pineapple I’ve ever seen, I thought it was a taco at first. Interesting flavor combination of pineapple & chocolate, can’t wait to see what it tastes like. (230 cals, 12g fat, 26g carbs, 4g fiber, 14g sugar, 6g protein)
More candy items:
- Sweet’s Natural Candy Corn: This is something I’d expect to see at a store closeout sale in February. I can imagine they’ve had trouble getting rid of this stuff for about the past 5 months. Anyway, its candy corn that’s naturally colored from vegetable extracts (pumpkin, carrot, and apple) and it probably tastes like sugar, like all candy corn does.
- Little Secrets Spiced Pumpkin Pie Dark Chocolate Candies: Really can’t wait to try these because seasonal flavors excite me like little else. Based off a quick nutritional comparison, these are essentially m&ms, but I can feel better about myself because they’re made with fair trade chocolate and the packaging makes it look more adult-like.
- Mitica ChocoCherries: As I’ve said before Cherry cordials are one of my favorite candies ever. These look potentially good except the picture on the package throws me off a little bit. Why are the cherries yellow? And why does the cherry on the right look like a dissected eyeball? This is a very sophisticated looking product though, it pretty much comes in it’s own tupperware and they were handmade in Valencia, Spain. I’ll try to keep my mind open and look forward to trying these.
- Heart Lolipop: Don’t know the flavor, brand, ect. But it looks nice.
- Barbara’s Honey Rice Puffins: This is the only item of the bunch I’ve tried before. Puffins are one of my favorite cereals and I think I’ve had every flavor. For me, I just like Puffins and enjoy every flavor so I’m glad to have a new box.
- Mike’s Deep Fried BBQ Peanuts: Ever since I got over my nut hatred, nuts have been one of my favorite snacks. I can now check “in-shell fried peanuts” off my list of ways to eat peanuts(boiled peanuts, you’re next). Eating the shell is quite different… A lot tougher and more chewing but I love peanuts so much that I didn’t mind. Subtle bbq taste. I still think I prefer my peanuts de-shelled though.
- Chomperz Barbecue Seaweed Chips: Y’all know I love bbq. I’m also a fan a seaweed snacks so this sounds like an awesome combination.
- 365 Organic Blueberry Powder: Maybe the most intriguing products of the bunch… because I’m not sure what it is. The only ingredient is “Organic Blueberry Powder” which I’m guessing is ground up dried blueberries? The package suggests adding it to dessert, sauces, spreads, drinks, ect. It also claims 1tsp = 17 blueberries. What is this magical substance? Some ideas I have: Adding it to milk with some sugar, adding it to homemade ice cream, mixing it with cream cheese to spread on a bagel. Let me know what to do with this stuff!
A couple more goodies.
Thanks sis for all the cool stuff! Can’t wait to try all of it. Please let me know if you want to hear more about any of these products. I’ve only tried a few, but would love to provide my impressions of any of these products, just tell me which ones! I’m home from college for a week on spring break so I’ll have more time to post on the blog. I’m hoping to get some new food reviews up this week along with maybe a recipe or restaurant review. Let me know what you want to see, thanks for reading and have a great one!