‘Tis the season for baking and what screams “fall” more than apples, cranberries and pie? Today on the Review, we’re cooking up a Apple-cranberry pie.
Here’s what we used:
2 Pillsbury pre-made refrigerated pie crusts
4 large apples
1 cup fresh cranberries
⅔ cup sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
2 Tbsp butter
Here’s what we did:
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Press 1 pie dough into the bottom of a pie dish
- In a large bowl, combine 4 diced, large apples and 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries.
- In another large bowl, combine ⅔ cup sugar, 2 Tbsp cornstarch, 2 tsp cinnamon and ¼ tsp nutmeg. Mix
- Pour dry mixture over fruit and mix to coat evenly.
- Pour fruit mixture into pie dish and top with the 2 Tbsp butter, cubed
- Spread the 2nd pie dough and cut into 1 inch wide strips with a pizza cutter or knife.
- Use strips to make a lattice on top of the pie
- Bake for 20 mins on 400F, then 30-40 mins on 350F.
- We used tin foil around the edge of the pie for 20 mins to prevent spillage and the crust browning too quickly.
- We brushed the top of the lattice with milk before baking to get shiny and brown. It didn’t really work, so I’d suggest brushing with egg wash or possibly buttermilk.